Honestly, say this with a straight face. What are you waiting for?

Monday, February 25, 2008

Bulls Make Money, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get Slaughtered

So according to the weather men, it was supposed to be in the low 50s today. It never got out of the 30s. I've gone most of my life scoffing at weather men and anyone who seems to think that they can see into the future, but as I've aged and gained responsibilities, I seemed to have thought it wise to keep up with expected weather and plan parts of my day around it. No more. I'm going to go back to just going with the flow and not listening to the TV shaman that tell me the future.

This week's post is a continuation in the "What Kiel thinks about issues that cause conflict in the SBC" series. I'm unbelievably surprised at the amount of feedback I've gotten so far. Maybe people care more about what I think than I thought. Or maybe no one will reply to this post and things will return to normal. Whatever the case, I should let you know that a certain blogger over at http://thisblogchoseyou.wordpress.com/ discussed this week's issue earlier this week with a great post you should check out. Head on over to Bryan's blog.

Homosexuality

During the past few years, some Southern Baptists have taken a very peculiar stance on homosexuality. It has been stated that if a method were developed to somehow reverse homosexuality in an unborn child to make him or her heterosexual, such a method should be endorsed by Christians, just as we would endorse any method that would decrease the temptation of anyone.

As much as I respect the opinion of some of my fellow Southern Baptists, I must strongly disagree with this stance. For some reason, homosexuality has become the most vile of all sins amongst evangelical Christianity over the past decade or two. What's even more embarrassing is that there is actually conversation among Christians involving "what to do about it" as if homosexuality hasn't been around more than a few years.

Before I get into that though, I'll respond to the idea that science can somehow cure sin and other stances that insist that homosexuality is some evil switch that gets flipped on or off. I'll begin by saying as forcefully as I possibly can that to state that we should interfere with God's creation in such a way as to "take away" or "rid" someone of a particular sin is an absolute slap in the face to Christ's work on the cross. Who are we to reach into the womb of a mother and decide the outcome of what God has already ordained? Furthermore, who are we to think that we can take away sin?

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." - Psalm 139:13

"Just as man is destined to die once, and after that face judgment, so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people, and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him." - Hebrews 9:27-28

The work is done, Christ has taken away the sins of his people. There is no need to further attempt to deal with the problem of sin - we can't deal with it. That's precisely why Christ came to die, nothing we do could ever be enough. Why is it not suggested that we find unborn children who will be prone to be alcoholics? Or adulterers? Why not genetically cure everyone of all sins before they are even born? Because it would do no good. We cannot take away the sin of anyone, only Christ can do that.

Because of the direction this post is taking, it would be wise of me to say that I'm not pulling a Brian McLaren here and getting ready to tell you that we need to wait it out a few years before the church takes a stance on homosexuality as a sin. I do believe that it is, in fact, sin. However, I will now address the second problem facing the church in regards to homosexuality, and that is the inability of our fellow Christians to understand homosexuals and treat them in a respectable and loving way.

For some reason, it seems that our churches equate welcoming a homosexual into our company with carrying them to the pulpit. This reaction to homosexuality in the church is just ridiculous. Every single one of us entered into the church as a sinner - maybe not struggling with the sin of homosexuality, but struggling with sin just as deserving of death and judgment. In fact, I would go so far as to say that every one of you is struggling with sin right now leaves you in a terrible predicament if not for the grace of God. Why is homosexuality so different? It's certainly not something to overlook, but nor is it something to get scared about or be deemed as too far for the grace of God to reach. God is more than capable of saving a homosexual, just as he is also capable of saving anyone he so chooses. How dare we decide who is good enough for God's grace.

I would urge you to go out this week and befriend a homosexual person. I feel like I can't even say it without it sounding like "go out and make friends with a grizzly bear." I promise, they won't bite - and in fact, you might just find out that they're human beings just like you. No different. No less deserving of the grace of God. No less fun to joke around with, to share a meal with, to be friends with, and to love - just like everyone else. Let's stop dividing people into the who's in and who's out circle of God's love and start acting like people are in need of it and we have the means to share it with them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh crap. Dude, I completely forgot about this. I'm sorry. Just so everyone realizes: the idea for this post was totally Kiel's and I ripped him off. :|

Anonymous said...

Oh, and just so everyone knows: I love this guy.

Anonymous said...

Kiel,

I am going to play the devil's advocate. I have one main problem with your post, which is, I have not seen these two issues in dealing with homosexuality as a problem in our Churches. In fact, I believe most Christians do not believe homosexuality is at it's core a genetic problem that needs to be cured. The whole notion that sins have genetic causes is entirely secular. Therefore, I have not seen or heard any Christians seriously suggest that homosexuality can be cured through scientific intercession.

I also agree with you that we all do have sins we struggle with and homosexuality is not more evil (though it may have greater consequences). But I also believe that if I came to a Church, and was openly living in sin, that the Churches responsibility would be to lovingly rebuke and restore me through the sanctifying power of Christ and the ministry of the Word. From my own experience, the greater problem seems to be fear on the part of homosexuals who either 1) will not go to Church or 2.) go to Church, but hide their struggle.

I wonder what makes you think these are 2 great problems that the Christian Church is struggling with?

he's only chasing safety said...

I'm not sure how much clearer I need to be about people attaching their names to comments, maybe I should make the name of my blog "Don't Post Anonymously." Anyway, please leave your name next time.

I can assure you that there are many Christians who view homosexuality as a biological issue. Here's a quote from R. Albert Mohler, Jr., (whom I greatly respect by the way, but differ with his opinion on this subject) spoken last spring at Southern Seminary:

"If a biological basis is found, and if a prenatal test is then developed, and if a successful treatment to reverse the sexual orientation to heterosexual is ever developed, we would support its use as we should unapologetically support the use of any appropriate means to avoid sexual temptation and the inevitable effects of sin."

As for how we treat people who come into the church, if you're a Christian coming into the church in unrepentant sin, than by all means, it is the church's job to help restore you. However, if you're a non-Christian coming to the church, why would you "rebuke and restore" someone who doesn't even have a concept of sin or why they need the sanctifying power of Christ?

I'm not saying to overlook sin, I'm just saying that we should treat Christians and non-Christians differently. You can't expect a non-believer to understand their need to change, that comes from Christ's work in the heart and the love he has for them - THAT is what we tell them about.